Chalk paint is getting popular nowadays, and people are using it for DIY projects instead of calling professionals to do the job. The chalk paint saves a lot of money, but you have the required right tools to do the job. In this regard, the best paint brushes for chalk are very important because they have the capabilities to apply it in the best way. Moreover, the chalk paint creates a unique effect and natural look by leaving the brush strokes visible.
If we talk about other paints, they require priming and sanding before application, which is time-consuming. Fortunately, in matter chalk paint, it can eradicate these issues. After comprehensive research, we have finalized the list of the best chalk paintbrushes. The Chalk and Wax Paint Brush is on the top among all due to its extraordinary qualities.
Our Top 3 picks
Chalk and Wax Paint Brush
- Nickle plated head and natural bristles
- Easy to grip the handle
- Long-lasting and offer perfect results
- The package includes two brushes
DIYARTZ Chalk & Wax Paint Brush
- Excellent brush for paint and wax
- Perfect choice for DIY projects
- Quick and efficient painting through it
- Can be used for heavy-duty projects
DIYARTZ Chalk & Wax Paint Brush
- Made of 100% natural bristles
- Bristles are firmly glued, and no loss
- The package includes six brushes
- The handle has an ergonomic design to use easily
Comparison Table Best Auto Primers
Best Paint Brushes For Chalk (Updated)
1.Chalk and Wax Paint Brush
“Chalk Paint Brush”
The Chalk and Wax Paint Brush works as professional chalk paint and wax brush. The package comes with two brushes, and each of them is used for a unique purpose. One of them is a 2.5″ large oval brush, and it is perfect for chalk painting furniture and other surfaces. The other one is a smaller and rounder brush that is used to cover hard-to-reach areas.
Features that attract this brush:
- Made of natural bristles with nickel-plated head and wood handle
- Two in one oval and round brush and perfect for chalk paint, pixie paint, DIY paint, and wax
- Easy to grip wooden handle and offer quality results on all surfaces
- Highest paint pick and offer long-lasting results on rough surfaces
- Pack contains two brushes, one is a small brush, and the other is a 2.5-inch large brush
- 2-in-1 brushes
- Ergonomic handle
- Natural synthetics
- Chalk and wax compatible
- Nickel-plated ferrule
- Need to be careful while cleaning it
If we talk about its bristles, they are made with a blend of synthetic and natural hair. These bristles are compatible with the most popular chalk paints and for waxing furniture too. Both brushes are featured with a nickel-plated ferrule that helps to keep the bristles in place. The handles are made of natural-colored wood that is super strong.
2.Premium Chalk Paint and Wax Brush
“Smooth Bristles Brush”
The Premium Chalk Paint and Wax Brush offer you low shedding that is rarely available in chalk paintbrushes. The package includes two pieces of chalk and wax paintbrushes. The brushes are made using premium quality bristles that are less prone to shedding.
Features that attract this brush:
- Works well with paint and wax and all purposes paintbrush works smoothly on wooden brushes
- Featured with premium natural brushes for a traditional look to DIY painting projects
- Roundhead design that lets you paint more quickly and efficiently
- Lightweight brush with ergonomic handle to offer more control and leverage
- Perfect addition to chalk paint kit and can be used for heavy-duty projects
- 100% natural bristles
- Ergonomic handles
- Low-shedding bristles for a smooth finish
- Two brushes in one pack
- Efficient and quick
- Uncomfortable to hold the larger brush
In the package, one brush is large, and another one is small. The larger brush has a large rounded tip for faster and efficient working. However, the other brush is perfect for covering small nooks and corners. Both brushes are lightweight but strong enough and won’t strain your wrist.
3.DIYARTZ Chalk & Wax Paint Brush
“Ergonomic Handles Brushes”
The DIYARTZ Chalk & Wax Paint Brush is a perfect choice if you want to do something adventurous. It’s a large pack that includes six brushes that have different shapes to cover different types of surfaces. Each of them is made for a specific purpose. Having versatility means you can use it with chalk paint, walls, wax, DIY projects, and more.
Top features in it:
- The bristles are 100% natural for the traditional and textured look of DIY projects.
- No loss of bristles due to firmly glued and minimal shedding
- six brushes come in a pack, and each brush is different from using on various surfaces
- Simple to clean and convenient to use to complete the project faster and easier
- Featured with a heavy-duty wooden ergonomic handle and lightweight brush that is easy to hold
- Huge pack with six brushes
- Perfect natural bristles
- Ergonomic handles for better control
- Rust-resistant ferrule
- Easy to clean
The brush’s bristles are set into the rust-resistant ferrule with strong adhesive to prevent them from falling. Furthermore, each brush’s handle is made of premium quality wood. Its design is user-friendly that comes fit to every hand. The other things that the package includes are a cloth, some plastic gloves, and a sanding block.
4.New Renaissance Brush
“Professional Chalk Painting Brush”
This professional chalk paint and wax brush made by NEW RENAISSANCE is one of the highly competitive brushes. The New Renaissance Brush contains only one brush, unlike the above all brushes. It’s a large brush having dimensions of 9 x 2 x 3 inches, and it’s the only brush that fulfills all your needs.
Features that attract the brush:
- The dimensions of the brush are 9 x 2 x 3 inches.
- Works for both paints and wax- two in one brush that is compatible with all brands of paints
- Featured with premium natural bristles for authentic-looking chalked paint project
- Specially designed for furniture and works best for all types of furniture
- Offer high quality and professional chalk painting within the affordable price range
- Large brush
- Featured with natural bristles
- Offer professional finish
- Easy to use
- The package contains only one brush
Furthermore, the brush is compatible with all brands of paints and wax. It is made of using premium quality, natural and pure bristles. Experts mostly recommend this bristle type, and it creates a more authentic and chalky structure. This multi-pack is affordable, and consider it before looking for high-end ones.
5.Tatler & Tatum Chalk Paint Brush
“Best Chalk Paint Brush for Cabinets”
The Tatler & Tatum Chalk Paint Brush is a brush that you can get within a tight budget. Besides this, you can use this brush with almost any chalk painting project. The package only includes a single brush that fulfills all your needs. However, it is not an ideal choice for large projects.
Features that we like in it:
- two-in-one chalk or wax brush that works with all colors and chalks paint
- Low shedding design that is assured by dense packing and specially formulated with high strength epoxy
- Half of the price than other competitive calk brushes, and it’s an affordable alternative
- Holds more paint and cover a large area to do the job quickly and saves time
- Perfect brush for thicker or thinner paints
- Perfect natural bristles
- Compatible with expensive brushes
- Works quickly
- Holds more paint
- Shedding is higher than others
The brush has an ergonomic handle that makes it comfortable to hold while doing the job. If we talk about its price, it has half of other similar brushes’ price. So, if you are new in this field, then considering this premium quality chalk paintbrush wouldn’t be a wrong deal.
6. Purdy 144080310 Chalk Brush-
“Angular Trim Paint Brush”
The Purdy 144080310 Chalk Brush is a perfect brush for trim work. The brush includes angled bristles that will help you a lot when painting trim or any other closed spaces. This brush will be a great addition to your painting toolbox. There are several widths of bristles that range from one inch to three inches.
Features that we love in it:
- Ideal for outdoor projects with different temperatures due to the stuffiness of the brush
- Each brush has featured with unique hand-chiseled formulation for maximum paint pick up
- Solid, round, tapered nylon and polyester filaments are used for a high-quality finish
- Maximum paint pick up with a hand-chiseled formulation
- A perfect blend of polyester and Satin-edge nylon
- Long handle
- Works with most paints
- Great bristles retention
- Maximum paint pickup
- Ideal for outdoor
If we talk about its control, it comes with a long and sturdy handle with an easy grip. Having such features within this price tag are impressive. The bristles are made of polyester and nylon that offer you a natural feel. Furthermore, it can be used with any type of paint for a superior quality finish.
7.Wooster Q3108-2 Paint Brush
“Soft Paint Brush”
The Wooster Q3108-2 Paint Brush is the cheapest brush on the list that you can ever get. It’s a small two-inch brush that is perfect for smaller projects or covering tight spaces. Its bristles are a blend of polyester and nylon that let it work well with most types of surfaces.
Features that attract this brush:
- Soft tipped brush for smooth and even finish with oil-based and latex paints
- Gold polyester and white nylon with chisel trim
- It comes with brass-plated steel ferrule and has a solid plastic Kaiser handle
- Bristles are a nice blend of polyester and nylon to work with most paints
- Budget-effective pick that works well like other expensive competitors
- Soft bristles
- Perfect control of stroke
- Quality finish
- Easy to hold
- Nor a long-lasting choice
Moreover, its handle is made of plastic for an easy grip that is far better than other slippy handles available there in the market. Finally, the bristles are soft and nice to provide you even coverage with a lovely and smooth finish. Overall this soft tip paintbrush is one of the best brushes for chalk paint home depot.
8.Brossum Large Round Paint Brush
“Handmade Natural Bristles”
The Brossum Large Round Paint Brush is another inexpensive brush that you can ever get. The brush is available in two sizes; one is large, and another one is an extra-large size that is not costly. It is a handmade natural bristle brush and a super affordable option.
Notable features in it:
- The primer is suitable to use on metal and wood surfaces as well as fiberglass
- Oil-based paint that offers you a rust-resistant base coat for all types of vehicles.
- One can cover up to 12 square feet and dries to touch within just 15 minutes
- Durable coating and longevity is ensured due to high-quality spray paint
- Offer you superior adhesion and works with any topcoat.
- Handmade brush
- Low shedding bristles
- Easy hang leather strap
- Comfortable to use
- A bit shedding for bigger projects
The thing that you will love most is its leather hanging strap that makes it easier to store when you are not using it. In addition, the bristles which are used in this brush are twice-boiled. As a result, these bristles are typically less prone to shedding than other types. Overall, this handmade bristles brush is one of the best chalk paint brushes available on amazon.
It’s an overwhelming task to get yourself into DIY, and as a newbie, you need to consider many factors to purchase any product. Getting the right painting tool means you will get the perfect finish. However, if it goes wrong, it could be terrible for you. To purchase the best paintbrush for chalk, you need the right information, and all are provided in this article.
Since there are a lot of paint brushes available in the market, it is hard to pick something best out of them. However, we have done it for your easiness, and you can pick any brush from the above list without any worries. Just select that suits right to your requirements and finally get round to the painting job.
What type of paintbrush is good for chalk paint?
To apply chalk paint, it is best to use a natural bristle brush instead of purchasing a typical synthetic brush. This is because natural bristle brushes are inexpensive comparatively. However, synthetic fiber brushes are used to paint walls.
How to get a smooth finish with chalk paint?
To get a smooth finish, sand the surface if some spots are uneven and thicker. Not sand the whole surface, just that part where it is necessary. You will get a smooth finish as a result.
Can I roll chalk paint, or using a brush is better?
You can use either of them but using a brush is better. If you go for a brush, then choose a natural-bristle brush with flexible, long bristles. If you go for a roll, then roll a thin layer of paint in a long and unidirectional stroke.
How many coats of chalk paint should I use?
For chalk paints, one to two coats of paint is enough to get the required result. Generally, chalk paints adhere to almost every surface, and they won’t take much time because they don’t require sanding or priming.
How can I get rid of brush strokes in chalk paints?
To get a smooth and brush strokes-free surface, smooth the paint after each coat by running fine-grit sandpaper on the surface. But still, if you see some strokes, they will be better and help your piece to feel nice.
How to get the Best Paint Brushes For Chalk – BUYING GUIDE
Before buying the paintbrush for the call, you need to know the difference between natural bristle brushes and synthetic bristle brushes. Both types affect the final result and the quality of the material. Furthermore, many other factors need to be considered before getting the best chalk paintbrush. Read the below factors and consider the features that you need.
As discussed earlier, there are two types of bristles. If we talk about synthetic bristles, they are made of the same basic components. The bristle brushes have a specifically aligned collection of bristles that are attached with glue. The handle is either made of plastic or wood to offer a steady and accurate control.
On the other hand, if we talk about natural bristle brushes, they are usually made of animal hairs instead of any handmade material. These types of brushes are highly recommended for chalk paints, and they distribute the paint softly and evenly.
The paintbrushes come in various sizes, and the common size range is from 1 to 5 inches in width. The wider paintbrush means the more area you will cover to deposit paint on the surface. However, make sure that the brush width doesn’t match the surface width. It should be slightly smaller than the surface’s width.
Typically, the paintbrushes come in a standard square-cut shape. It is because they have great at holding and laying paint onto the surface. Moreover, they offer more control and precision when you are dealing with small nooks and corners. However, if you need to cut in around the masking tape, it will be good to have a sash brush.
The sash brush has a cut at a slight angle that makes a comfortable angle on the user’s hand. These types of brushes are good for a piece of furniture or kitchen cabinets.
Although the natural bristle brushes are great for chalk painting, you need to know that they can shed a lot. Since they are made of animal hair, they can fell out sometimes. However, they create an excellent effect on the surface.
Working with thin paints like chalk paints could have greater chances of shedding. It can damage all your hard work. You need to pick up such brushes that have low-shedding bristles.
It is really important to get the right tool for the right job. If you are not sure how you will get a smooth finish, make sure to get the right brush. Sometimes, you purchase such a cheap brush, but it could end up costing you in the long run. Getting the most inexpensive paintbrush means your painting job will not be as good as a high-quality paintbrush could offer.
Invest one time and get a high-quality paintbrush. It will result in a long run and offer you a smooth finish.