Moisturized places are heaven for mold and mildew. They can grow either inside or outside your home. Water, food, and oxygen are the three things to grow for this pesky problem. When it starts to appear, it may be challenging to tackle. The bathrooms are most impacted, and you need to use the best bathroom paint to prevent mold. Such paints can be utilized to cover up and discourage mold from growing.
The mold-resistant paints consist of antimicrobial agents that last for years. These chemicals repel harmful bacteria. In doing so, you can avoid expensive home repairs and health issues. After a lot of research on mold-resistant paints, we have finalized the top eight mold-resistant paints. In this research, we found KILZ L211101 paint best among all who can prevent the mold.
Our Top 3 picks
KILZ L211101 paint
- Comes in white color and offer a gloss finish
- Adhere to tough-to-paint surfaces perfectly
- Suitable for different types of surfaces
- 300 square feet area coverage
Zinsser- Perma-White Interior Paint
- Comes in white color and offer a satin finish
- An ideal paint to be used for interior surfaces
- Dries to touch within 30 minutes
- offer a washable and satin finish
Prestige Interior Paint and Primer
- Comes in various colors and offer a semi-gloss finish type
- Ultra-premium paint with smooth application
- Easy to clean with soap and water
- Contain low VOC and safe for health
Comparison Table Best Auto Primers
Best Bathroom Paint To Prevent Mold (Updated)
1.KILZ L211101 paint
“High Bonding Primer”
The KILZ L211101 paint is designed specially to conceal unsightly blotches of mildew and mold. You can use its impressive coating on both interior and exterior surfaces. It is such a formula that eliminates stubborn bacteria from surfaces. It can be used on powdery surfaces, including cement, concrete, and more. The application procedure is straightforward, and it takes time of fewer than four hours to dry.
Top features in it:
- The paint has a 1-gallon size and having 128 fluid ounces volume with white color and offers you a gloss finish.
- A high-quality bonding primer that adheres to tough to paint surfaces.
- Bond securely on silk surfaces where oil-based or traditional primer will not work.
- Adheres to rough to paint surfaces, including PVC, Kynar, glass, glazed brick, vinyl, Formica, fiberglass, and metals.
- One gallon of the paint can cover 300 square feet.
- Water-based acrylic latex paint
- Adheres to rough surfaces
- Self-priming paint
- Excellent coverage
- Perfect for moisturized areas
- Sometimes it requires a second coat
The application cures completely within two weeks, and once it is fully cured, you can clean it with simple soap and water. According to the manufacturer, one can cover up to 250 to 400 square feet of the surface. Before application, it is necessary to remove loose paint and chalky buildup on the surface. You can apply the paint with any application tool of your own choice.
2.Zinsser- Perma-White Interior Paint
“Best Paint for Small Bathroom”
The Zinsser- Perma-White Interior Paint is a budget-friendly option and could be your go-to product. The paint has the best coverage that any ideal paint can offer. Additionally, the application process is so easy that you can apply it even with a brush or roller. Moreover, you don’t require a second coat. However, some customers said it needs another coat, but it happens in rare cases.
Attractive features in it:
- The paint has 31.5 fluid ounces size with white color and offers a satin finish.
- Perfect paint to cover interior spaces such as walls, spaces, closets, laundry rooms, and more
- Protect the surface from mold growth and mildew on the paint film, and it’s a low odor formula.
- Dries to touch within 30 minutes, and one can cover 75-100 square feet.
- Offer a washable and satin finish; self-priming paint that adheres without priming the surface.
- Resists moisture and dust
- Quick-drying time
- One can pay enough for bathroom coverage
- Thick paint covers evenly
- Excellent for interior surfaces
- Requires more coats without priming
For a smooth finish, you need to prime first. If you don’t prime the surface, then definitely it requires more than one coat. If we talk about odor, it has a very minimal odor that will go away within two days. If you are sensitive to smell, keep the doors open, and everything will be balanced perfectly. Furthermore, the cleaning process is very easy and enjoyable.
3.Prestige Interior Paint and Primer
“Semi-Gloss Paint for Bathroom”
The Prestige Interior Paint and Primer offer a better reflective finish than satin. In addition, it offers a semi-gloss finish and as shiny as gloss. However, one thing is sure that it will brighten up your bathroom. It’s an ideal choice for the bathroom and kitchen as both places have high humidity. Typically, it requires only one coat, but it needs more than one coat for some colors.
Best features in this paint:
- The paint comes in 1-gallon size in various colors and offers a semi-gloss finish type
- Ultra-premium paint and primer in one can that offer smooth application
- Ideal paint for interior surfaces like bathrooms, family rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, hallways, and others
- Acrylic latex formula that is easy to clean with soap and water, durable and washable paint
- Contains low VOC that is less than five g/l before tinting and safe for health
- Excellent for interior surfaces
- Easy to clean up
- Primer and paint in one
- Smooth application
- Never peels
The hottest feature of this paint is that it is VOC-free. It doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients and yet can hold up for a long time. Furthermore, it has a wide range of colors, and you can pick up of your choice. All the colors have an eye-catching look and offer a new touch to your bathroom.
4.RUST-OLEUM 5001 Paint
“Mold/Mildew Resistant Paint”
The RUST-OLEUM 5001 Paint is an ideal choice to paint over existing mold, mildew, fungi, and other odor-causing bacterias. It is a water-based formula that eliminates the existing microbes and makes the surface bacteria-free. In addition, the antimicrobial agent is EPA-approved and doesn’t contain any harmful elements that can affect your health.
Features that we love in it:
- The formula has an ultra-low odor oil-based formula that has an even low odor than latex paint
- The perfect paint for basements and other interior surfaces that are above and below grade masonry surfaces
- Featured with mildewcide to prevent the growth of mildew and mold on the paint film only
- The guaranteed water-resistant formula is twice in strength as other paints
- Lifetime waterproof
- Low odor
- Perfect for high moisture areas
- Consists of mildewcide
- Easy to apply
- The package contains only one brush
One can of this paint cover up to 100-200 square feet. The paint dries to touch in just 30 minutes, but if you have time, you should wait at least one hour to apply the topcoat. Before application, you must need to eliminate the source of any moisture issues. Overall, this product provides full coverage and smooth coating.
5.Montage Signature Interior
“Exterior Paint- Eco-Friendly Paint”
The Montage Signature Interior/Exterior Paint is known for its best value among customers. If you are an environment lover, this paint has all environment-friendly properties. None of the ingredients is harmful to the environment. Further, it comes with advanced sealing technology that will protect the paint against mold, mildew, and moisture.
Features that attract this paint:
- The paint has 128 fluid ounces volume in Swiss coffee color and offers you a low sheen finish.
- Excellent choice for professional painting needs and perfect for small residential places to large commercial buildings.
- Offer you superior coverage and protection with improved sealing technology for easy cleaning and protection
- Contains high-quality environment-friendly and pollutant-free elements that compete with leading professional paints
- Rigorous engineering and testing of the paint to get such high-quality paint
- Requires few coats
- Low odor as compared to others
- Cover most areas in one coat
- Smooth application
Moreover, the paint has low-sheen and semi-gloss finishes, and you can pick one that goes with your style. The paint is suitable for indoor and outdoor surfaces, including ceilings, trim, and walls, commercial or residential ventures. Since it is a water-based formula, it applies evenly. Last but not least, it is scrubbable and can be cleaned up quickly.
6. Zinsser Mold Mildew Proof Paint
“Semi-Gloss Interior Paint”
The Zinsser Mold Mildew Proof Paint will make your interior surface as fresh as it is new. It is such a product that will let you finish your painting without costing too much. The paint contains a self-priming formula that helps the paint to stay well on the surface at any condition. Moreover, it is perfect for the outdoors as it ensures durability.
Features that we love:
- The paint comes in a 5-gallon size with white color and perfects to cover interior surfaces.
- Lifetime durability with high performing low-odor paint
- The perfect paint for interior surfaces like basements, bathrooms, cabinets, walls, and more
- Forms a mold and mildew resistant paint film that remains for a long time, up to five years
- Moisture-resistant finish that is washable, scrubbable, and also hides stains
- Requires no sanding and sticks to the surface due to self-priming
- Excellent performance
- Stain and moisture resistant
- Washable, scrubbable paint
- Requires no priming
- perfect for interior use
Adding more, the paint doesn’t smell too much, and it is recommended for interior use to get the best results. The coating of this durable paint can block the moisture from coming out. The paint can be used to repair walls if the wall doesn’t have any leakage issues. Overall, the paint is perfect indoors and has a potent adhesion formula to stick on the surface pretty well.
7.INSL-X AQ040009A-01 Paint
“Water-Based Sealer Primer”
The INSL-X AQ040009A-01 Paint is a product that acts as paint, but it’s a primer. It is a water-resistant property, and mold-resistant coating makes it one of the best paint for the bathroom to prevent mold. In addition, it also has stain blocking properties that help block the stains and make the surface more attractive.
- The paint comes in 1-gallon size with white color and offers you a Flatt/matte finish
- Acrylic primer-sealer that offers excellent adhesion on a variety of interior surfaces and also exterior
- Excellent base coat for both latex and oil-based finish coating and has superior coverage qualities
- Offer a mold-resistant coating and excellent stain blocking formula for highly moisturized areas
- 1 gallon covers up to 300-400 square feet, dries quickly within 30 minutes, contains low VOC
- Thicker formula nad goes a long way
- High coverage
- Dries quickly
- Requires no sanding
- Low VOC
- Nor a long-lasting choice
Since it is actually a primer, it is the best base coat for both latex and oil-based finish coatings. And let’s talk about its best part, it can be used on both exterior and interior surfaces. Moreover, one gallon of this formula can cover up to 300-400 square feet that are enough to paint the whole bathroom. Overall, this town-in-one formula is great for blocking moisture.
8.Giani Countertop Paint Kit
“Best Paint for Bathroom Vanity”
The Giani Countertop Paint Kit offers you the best ever possible results. The hallmarks of this paint are flexibility and long-lasting. It is perfect for cultured marble, butcher block, ceramic, Corian, laminate, and Formica. Since it comes in five different colors, you can put a hand on that solar that suits your style. Interestingly, the formula has an acrylic topcoat that protects the bathroom for daily use.
Loveable features in it:
- The water-based acrylic paint to transform outdated countertops without costly replacement
- Fun and a perfect DIY project that completes with step by step instructions
- The one-week application process that dries to offer a high gloss finish to simulate the look of granite
- One pack covers 35 square feet and typical surface area of most kitchen countertops
- Ideal to use on laminate, Formica, Corian, ceramic, tile, butcher block, cultured marble, etc.
- Offer a new look to the bathroom
- High gloss finish
- Long time hold up
- Work like a charm for leveled surfaces
- Easy for DIY projects
- Requires a lot of time to complete the whole process
Furthermore, one can of the paint covers up to 35 square feet area effortlessly. It requires about four hours to complete your venture, and it needs 15 hours to dry. After 14 days, you can use it without care. The procedure seems complicated and complex, but the product definitely worth the pain. Overall, you can say it is one of the best paint for bathroom vanity.
You can apply mold-resistant paint to walls, floors, and other surfaces to stop the spread of mold and even kill the harmful microbes. Typically, the mold is unsightly, smelly, and irritating, which can impact the beauty of your interior—having the right product in your arsenal. You can get back the high moisture areas in their original form.
If you are in a hurry, then check out our top picks. You can pick any of them as they are the most reliable ones. On the other hand, go for each product’s details, pros, and cons to get a better idea of which paint is suitable for your condition. Furthermore, you can get guidance through buying guide at the end of the article.
Can I paint over existing mold?
It depends on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers say that you can apply the paint directly over the existing mold. However, to get better and efficient results, always apply the paint after properly priming and sanding the surface. You can use a nylon brush or a diluted mixture of bleach for this purpose.
What is a suitable place for mold?
Usually, the three most attractive things for mold are water, food, and oxygen. A bathroom is such a place that contains excessive water and an ideal place to form mold. You can prevent this impurity by painting the surface with the best paint that is resistant to mold.
Is mold-resistant paint a cure for all moisture issues?
Before applying the mold-resistant paint, you need to know the root cause of moisture. If it is possible, try to call out the expert who will pinpoint and resolve moisture issues. However, mold-resistant paint is a preventive measure against mold and other impurities.
Can I use any type of paint in the bathroom?
You can apply any type f paint to the bathroom walls and woodwork. However, it will be great to use anti-mold paints to prevent any, unlike impurities. Any bathroom or any other place having high humidity should be treated with mold-resistant paints.
Is there any difference between bathroom paint and regular paint?
While the regular paints are satin, semi-gloss, or high gloss, however, the bathroom paints are specially formulated and can be more matte or flat. Additionally, the paint for the bathroom has a low sheen and is specially designed for high moisture areas.
How To Choose The Best Bathroom Paint To Prevent Mold – BUYING GUIDE
Since the bathroom contains high humidity, that’s why the walls are prone to stains and mold as well. Only mold-resistant paint is the solution to this problem. However, selecting the best paint for bathroom mold could be really a difficult task, especially for beginners. It’s tricky because all the paints are not suitable for the bathroom. Some factors might be helpful to get better mold-resistant paint.
The mold-resistant paint should contain antimicrobial properties. Such active ingredients defend the surface from microbial growth. In addition, such antimicrobial paints fend off the spread of unpleasant odors and visuals caused by mold. However, these elements lose their effectiveness within a few years. Therefore, it is necessary to reapply the paint and keep your interior mold-free.
Most manufacturers claim that their paints are 100% water resistant, but in reality, they are not. Since moisture is one of the key elements to form mold, the paint should be water-resistant. Having the water-resistant coating will do the trick, but most of the paints could withstand a limited amount of water.
If there are any leakage issues, it’s essential to repair them before applying the paint. Except for forming the waterproof and moisture-resistant barrier, it should also work as a barrier against condensation from hot water.
Before purchasing a paint, always calculate the area that needs to cover. If we talk about mold-resistant coatings, they don’t offer safe coverages as standard surface paints do. These paints are similar to primers to some extent and cover everywhere from 225 to 275 square feet per gallon.
If we talk about each manufacture, they mention on the packaging that how much area it can cover. The range is between 150 to 400 square feet, but it may vary depending on the nature of the surface.
Like other factors, the drying time also varies dramatically between products. Typically, latex and water-based paints tend to dry quickly as compared to oil-based paints. These types of paints may feel dry to touch in just a few hours. Even more, homeowners should wait more before applying another coat. Furthermore, it takes weeks to fully cure the paint. You can check the exact drying time on the paint mentioned.
Most mold-resistant paints serve as a primer or self-priming paints. When there is mold exposed on the surface, it is necessary to apply a protective primer and a topcoat. The basic role of primer is to hide the imperfections while increasing the resistance and durability of the surface.
If we talk about self-priming paints, they are two can of paint in one. It will not only save your extra cost of buying a primer separately but also do the job easily.
The paint either has oil, water, or a latex base. But the question is, which base does the job better to resist the mold? If you are a seasoned contractor, then go for oil-based paint. However, the latex paint is naturally mold and mildew resistant. In addition, they contain low VOC and a healthier option as compared to others.
Till now, water-based paints didn’t get much attention that is deserved. The water-based paints dry rapidly and more easy to clean. Since oil-based paints are susceptible to mildew and mold, water-based paints are getting more popular.